Antico Oratorio della Passione


Piazza Sant’Ambrogio, 23/A, 20123 Milano


The most ancient scriptures related to the Confraternity of Saint Mary of the Passion date back to 1455. In 1477 Guiniforte Solari authorized the building of the new oratory and the adjacent little cloister.

Probably, Guiniforte himself designed the little building, which is characterized by a quadrangular area with a double barrel vault and by a little squared apse with an elegant umbrella vault that features various lunette and sails. This is an innovative and inspiring example of the late 15th century’s Milan architecture.

The 16th century decorative painting was followed by other architectural interventions such as the opening of the big Diocletian window of the façade.

At the end of the 18th century the confraternities wound up and in 1812 the oratory was ceded to the Basilica of Sant’Ambrogio administration.

After being used as a textile workshop, in 1886 the building was seized again and sold, 3 years later, to a wine merchant.

At present it is a wonderful cultural events venue.



on occasion of events